Like most insurers, SBLI requires a medical exam as part of the life insurance application process. This brief health screening gives us a sense of your overall health and medical history, so we can give you the appropriate rate.
What to Expect
Your health exam will be done by APPS-PortaMedic, a leader in health insurance medical exams and a longtime, trusted partner of SBLI. Once you start the application process with us, an APPS-PortaMedic representative will contact you and arrange for one of their experienced examiners to come to your home or office at a convenient time. The exam usually takes 20-30 minutes and is a lot like an annual checkup or physical. The examiner will:
- Measure your height, weight, blood pressure and pulse
- Collect blood and urine samples
- In some circumstances, do an EKG (electrocardiogram)
- Ask you about your medical history, including past illnesses or injuries
At the time of your medical exam, you will need to provide:
- Your doctor’s name and contact information and the dates of recent visits
- The names and doses of any prescription or over-the-counter medications you take
- Your driver’s license or other form of government-issued identification
- Your completed SBLI insurance application
We sincerely appreciate the trust you have put in SBLI, and you can rest assured this and other personal information you provide will remain strictly confidential.
To ensure a successful exam:
- Avoid alcoholic beverages for at least 8 hours before the exam.
- Do not smoke or drink coffee for at least 1 hour before the exam.
- Fast for at least 2 hours before the exam (12 hours is preferred).
- Drink a glass of water 2 hours before the exam. This will help produce a urine sample.
- Alert the examiner to any medications you are taking.